Visual Communication Design
Visual communication is integral to contemporary culture and society. Our Visual Communication Design program is designed to educate and enable students to develop a thorough understanding of the role, function and possibilities of visual communication design and to equip them with the necessary creative skills to become innovators in their field of study. This program deploys a multidisciplinary approach where students learn to communicate ideas and information effectively in a range of social, cultural and commercial contexts, through diverse and interrelated media such as digital and printed magazines, books, illustration, branding and visual identity, signage, apps, animation, websites, photography and film. Students will master both traditional and digital creative techniques and also develop their analytical skills through a thorough grounding in historical and contemporary art and design, semiotics and social and cultural studies.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nuran Öze
Head of Department
She was born in 1978 in Nicosia. She completed her bachelor degree in Tourism and Hotel Management in 1999 with the first rank in high school. After completing her master's degree in the field of "Business Administration" as the first of the program in 2001, after that she joined the academic staff. She graduated her doctorate in the Department of Communication Studies in 2014 and worked as lecturer for more than nineteen years. Öze, who has been the Head of the Public Relations and Publicity Department for five years, has derived the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Communication and the Head of the Media and Communication Studies Department for the last two years. She is currently working as the Head of ARUCAD Visual Communication Design Department.
Her academic work focuses on media, culture, women's studies, public relations, advertising, social media and digitalization. She presents her studies in international conferences, symposiums and congresses. Heretofore, she contributed with her studies to international conferences, congress and symposiums in Britain, Italy, Ireland, Portugal, France, Spain, Russia, Denmark, Turkey and Cyprus till now. She has served as session chair for many times in international symposiums and congresses and has ongoing scientific committee memberships. She edited three international book and being a organization chair for an international Conference. She has conducted many social responsibility projects with her students till now.
She is a long distance runner.
Best Paper Award - Behavioral Experiments of Small Societies in Social Media: Facebook Expressions of Anchored Relationships. The ICLB, 2017: 19th International Conference on Learning and Behaviour Conference, March, 26-27, 2017, Madrid, Spain.
Best Paper Award - "The Revolt as a Sales Method", CUDES 2019- 9. International Congress on Current Debates in Social Sciences, 2-4 Mayıs 2019, Near East University, Nicosia, North Cyprus
Asst. Prof. Dr. Sarvenaz Luckinger
After working as a journalist in Iran for 2 years she decided to get her bachelor in India from Delhi University in the field of French language and continued with her masters in Eastern Mediterranean University in the field of Tourism & Hospitality Management. After this she continued to study communication in Eastern Mediterranean University. Since 2016 she continued her pursuit of an academic career as a lecturer in Eastern Mediterranean University.
Her Academic interests are semiotics, advertising and cultural studies.
Asst. Prof. Dr. Melisa Balkaç
Born Morphou in 1991, Melisa Balkaç completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Wolverhampton and her master's degree in the Eastern Mediterranean University Visual Arts and Visual Communication Design program. She started her academic career as a research assistant while she was doing her master's degree. Balkaç, who also works as a Designer and continued to advise for various companies while continuing her education. After completing her PhD thesis on "Infographics in Healthcare", she continued to pursue an academic career and started teaching in universities.
Lecturer Arvin Medghalchi
Arvin Medghalchi is an Iranian animated filmmaker and illustrator. He has a degree in Visual arts and Visual communication design and more than 15 years of experience in directing independent animated films. He is mostly known for his stop-motion animations which have been screened and awarded from many international film festivals. His field of interest is to use mixed medium to approach the best results in visual storytelling. Lately, he has been working on his first animated feature film and a documentary.
2004 ‘’The Big Dream’’ 2D – 9min
2006 ‘’The lonely Dog’’ 2D – 4min
2009 Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘’The Black Cat’’ Stop Motion – 13min
2013 ‘’Imperfection’’ Paper Cut Animation – 6min
2013 ‘’ The Makeup’’ Cut out and Stop Motion – 5min
2014 ‘’Pinocchio’’ 2D Music video ( Officially Published )- 3min
2014 ‘’OMID ( Hope )’’ Stop Motion-9min
2016-17 ‘’Kitchen Dreams’’ Stop Motion – 14min
2017 ‘’In Mediterranean Arms’’ 2D- 2min
2016-17 ‘’Mr.Jazabgholi (Short animation series 10 episodes) 2D
2017 ‘’ Resident of the seventh deadlock’’ Documentary – Work still in progress.
Solo exhibition, Digital Art, Mehrin Art Gallery, 2004 Tehran
Group exhibition, Peace, Love and Friendship, at the cultural and artistic centre for children, 2005 Tehran
* Winner of Best Animation Asia Peace Film Festival. Pa. Edition 2017 ‘’In Mediterranean Arms’’
* Winner of Best Animation Doc. Rendezvous Film Festival Florida. USA 2015 ‘’ HOPE’’
* Winner of the Best Animation KIFEWW Film Festival Kolkata INDIA 2015 ‘’HOPE’’
* Appreciated Director from the 5th Hasanat Short Film Festival Isfahan IRAN 2016 ‘’HOPE’’
* Special Mention Best Animation Director Mowj Film Festival Kish Island IRAN 2016 ‘’HOPE’’
* Appreciated Animation Se Ma For Film Festival (scary puppets) POLAND 2010 ‘’ The Black Cat’’
* Appreciated Movie Poster design from 34th Fajr Film Festival IRAN 2016 ‘’ Risk Of Acid Rain’’
* Official Selection 9th River Film Festival ITALY 2015 ‘’HOPE’’
* Official Selection Athens Animafest Greek 2015 ’’HOPE’’
* Official Selection American Chi. Film Festival USA 2016 ’’HOPE’’
* Official Selection 52th Arvand Film Festival IRAN 2016 ’’HOPE’’
* Official Selection XV cine prob Self founded films MEXICO 2016 ’’HOPE’’
* Official Selection 11th International 100 second Film Festival IRAN 2017 ‘’In Mediterranean Arms’’
* Semi Finalist Movie valley BazzaCinema ITALY 2017 ‘’In Mediterranean Arms’’
* Special Screening Premier Marsselie Film Festival FID FRANCE 2017 ‘’Kitchen Dreams’’
* Special screening; Celebration of best artistic performance of Iran 2017 “ Tasvirsal “ (Image of the year)
* Special Jury Prize; Mowj Film Festival Kish Island. IRAN 2017
* Offiial Selection; 6 th International Khorshid Experimental Film Festival IRAN2017
* Special screening; FIDMARSEILLE 2017
* Special screening; Exground Film Festival Germany screening Best of Iran
* Special Screening; Wisconsin Iranian Film Festival USA 2018
* Special screening; 6th Festival of best Iranian Films in Paris 2018 (12-16 June)
* Official Selection; Athens Animefest 2018
* Official Selection; 6 th International Changing Perspective Film Festival Istanbul. Turkey2018
Lecturer Korhan Akbaytogan
Born on 15th of January 1979, Istanbul. In 2002 he completed his BA at Marmara U., Fine Arts Faculty, Graphic Design Dept. and at 2006, his MFA with thesis at T.C.Yeditepe U., Fine Arts Faculty, Dept. of Plastic Arts. He worked for Lowe Lintas, Index Interactive Multimedia, Feza Fırat Advertisement and Public Relations Agencies as an Art Director & Digital illustrator. He gave lessons at; Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Dept. of Graphic Design and Dept. of Informatics on Computer-Aided Art and Design Programs. He became an Adobe Certified Expert. He gave lessons at Universities and establishments like; Bilgeadam Academy, LaSalle Academy, Yıldız Technical University, Ankara University-Biotechnology Institute, Boğaziçi University - KOSGEB, Novartis, Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı and others.
Until 2018; he worked for Solutions Branding & Design Companies as a Senior Art Director and Illustrator. He became an expert on Packaging Design and Branding. He designed for brands like; Coca-Cola, Ülker, Unilever, Pınar, Eczacıbaşı, Algida, Nivea, Sanofi and others. He ended his agency career as a Creative Group Head. He continues his Ph.D. He is also an experienced Scuba instructor and a yogi.