Voices series for May: “New Media Art and Virtual Reality”
Voices series for May: “New Media Art and Virtual Reality”
Nowadays, Virtual Reality (VR) technology is commonly used in our daily lives, in the areas of: law, education, transportation, health and military. The strong relationship between virtual reality and art is enabling alternative perceptions and observing new experiences.
In this serie of VOICES, Ozan Turkkan will mainly talk about experimental video and fractal geometry and their different use in art. During the talk, shifting perceptional realities and their problems will be open for discussion and some VR artworks will be experienced.
Ozan Turkkan – Short bio
New media artist, Ozan Turkkan was born in Turkey. He worked many years in the
field of multimedia and digital arts. Before the very first steps in digital media, he
studied and practiced various art disciplines in Istanbul, Philadelphia, Salamanca,
Florence, Barcelona and Bruxelles in collaboration with numerous institutions, and art
centers. After he graduated from The University of Salamanca, he received his
Master degree in Multimedia at BAU (Escola Superior de Disseny) in Barcelona,
where he lived and worked for 10 years as a new media artist.
His works were exhibited in Art Centers, Museums and Galleries such as; Santa
Monica Art Centre Barcelona, Reina Sofia Museum Madrid, Centre of Contemporary
Art Luigi Pecci Florance, Torrance Museum Los Angeles, Victoria House London,
Lincoln Center NY, Banannefabrik Luxembourg, Europalia Art Festival Brussels, Les
Brigittines Contemporary Arts Centre Brussels, Museum of Contemporary Art
Belgrade, Santral Istanbul, Akbank Art Istanbul, Gallery Mitte Barcelona, LOOP
Videoart Festival Barcelona, Rotterdamse Schowbourg Rotterdam…
His work is centered on experimental media and digital arts with a focus on virtual
reality experiences, generative computer arts, fractals, algorithmic art, interactive art,
moving images and motion as a reflection of impermanent nature of existence,
human and social behavior. He uses technology as a canvas to create innovative and
engaging digital art installations to observe forms of interaction, social exchange,
participation and transformation.
Living in numerous cities throughout of his life Ozan Turkkan has developed a sense
of multiculturalism and cosmopolitanism which characterized his works. Complicated
structures, conflicting and coexisting colors and diversity have been a parameter to
push the artist to stress on complex field which is converging around the art, new
technologies and the sciences of nature.
He likes to explore the many-folded boundaries between science, art and new
technologies, and combining different media elements in a creative process.
He is currently based in Vienna.
Selected Exhibitions / Events
– “Common Stage”, Solo Exhibition, Galerie Mekan68 Vienna, 2018
– “Verum Corpus” VR and Video Installation. Bilsart, Istanbul, 2018.
– Akbank Sanat, ”, Solo Exhibition, Contemporary Istanbul 2017.
– SCOPE New York, USA, 2017.
– SCOPE Miami Beach, USA, 2017.
– Heterotopia, REM Art Space Istanbul, 2017
– “Fractum Regnum”, Solo Exhibition, ArtON Gallery Istanbul, 2017
– Plug-In New Media Section, Contemporary Istanbul, ArtON Gallery, 2016.
– “f-strings”, Audio visual installation, Auropalia Festival Belgium, 2016.
– “fractal body”, Audio visual installation, Auropalia Festival Belgium, 2016.
– FORMLESS Fluid reality in new media art. Museum of Contemporary Art,
– “f-strings”, Audio visual installation, Loop Festival Barcelona, 2015.
– “Well”, Interactive video/sound installation, “Waves” new media exhibition,
Blok Art Space, Istanbul, 2014.
– “Fractal Body”, video installation, Chantiere Art House, Bruxelles, Belgium,
– Plug-In, Video and Print Installations, Contemporary Istanbul 2014.
– 42 Maslak Lunch Video Exhibition, Contemporary Istanbul 2014.
– “Bipolar Fractal” video screening, CologneOff, Torrance Museum, LA, USA,
– “Bipolar Fractal” video screening, CONTRA Art Fair, London, 2014.
– “Curving Time”, digital prints installation, CONTRA Art Fair, London, 2014.
– “Versions”, TROIS C-L, Banannefabrik, Luxembourg, 2014.
– “Versions”, dance and new media collaboration, Maison des Cultures de
Molenbeek, Bruxelles, Belgium, 2014.
– Adobe Creative Cloud Mosaic Project, Lincoln Center, NY, USA, 2014.
– Fractal Body, Holographic video installation, Contemporary Istanbul, 2014.
– “Formless”, Fluid reality in New Media Art. Enerji Museum, Santral Istanbul,
– “Micro Flow Cube”, interactive installation. Mixer Gallery, İstanbul. 2014.
– “Bipolar Fractal”, Video Screening, Açıkekran new media arts gallery,
– GRID / Plug-In New Media Section, Contemporary Istanbul, 2013.
– Istanbul INN LONDON, Victoria House, London, 2013.
– SNAPSHOT ISTANBUL, video screenings, Rotterdams Schowbourg, 2012.
– Art Market Budapest, video screenings, Budapest, 2012.
– Blank Exhibition, augmented reality exhibition, Contemporary Istanbul, 2012.
– “Curving Time”, interactive video installation, The Empire Gallery,
– “Impudence of good intent” Art Sümer Gallery, Istanbul, 2012.
– “Resurrection: Fractal Continuum”, video and digital print installations, Hush
Gallery, Istanbul, 2012.
– Fractal Dimensions, IAP, Istanbul Art Platform, Istanbul, 2011.
– Fractal Dimensions, Gallery Mitte de Barcelona, Spain, 2011.
– “Hyper-d”, Video installation, Elgiz Museum of Contemporary Art, 12th
Istanbul Biennial, 2011.
– “Alfa Omega Alfa”, video screening, Punto y Raya Festival, Museo Reina
Sofía, Madrid, 2011.
– “Alfa Omega Alfa”, video screening, SIMULTAN Festival 2011, Timisoara,
– “Identity in motion”, Video Screening. International Video Festival,
VIDEOMEDEJA. Museum of Contemporary Art, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2010.
– Art Exhibit, Coimbra University, Portugal, 2010.
– One Minute Video Festival, Abstract Section, Amterdam, 2010.
– “What if I had made the other choisce?”, Videominuto 2010, one of the 10
finalists of the contest “Diary from the age of permanent present”. Centro per
l’arte contemporanea Luigi Pecci, Florance, 2010.
– Guantanamo museum Video Installation, Santa Monica Art Centre,
Barcelona, Spain, 2008.
firstname.lastname@example.org May 2019